market-farming - Onion Neck Rot, is there any hope?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Scott Franzblau" <imblau AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Onion Neck Rot, is there any hope?
  • Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 19:35:44 EDT

I'm raising onions in New Hampshire. We are having a wet season to say the very least.
We have had a wonderful onion crop so far with our sweet onions but the greens still haven't dried out on our storage onions (due to the weeds having taken over and the rain persisting?) and almost every onion has some neck rot. Today we pulled 2/3 of the storage onions and have them curing in a greenhouse, spread out near a fan.
What are my chances of having a storage supply of onions if neck rot is rampant? Should I cut off the greens in hopes of drying out the neck rot? Anything else I should do?