machinist - [machinist] thinking about doing a run of wall charts..consensus needed

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] thinking about doing a run of wall charts..consensus needed
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2014 04:30:05 -0400

thinking about doing a run of wall charts..consensus needed
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/thinking-about-doing-run-wall-charts-consensus-needed-287915/

general SFM and chip load chart for simple tools like emills and drills
Chip thinning chart and Rockwell C to Brinell.
Cosine error chart
Drill chart for form taps
Drill and chamfer specs for sti threads
True position chart
Grinding wheel chart
easy to read surface finish wall chart
standard counterbore chart. Metric and standard sizes
wheel chart where you can refrence hardness of material, alloy type and have an idea of expected surface finish.

I've made my own go-to posters, with and without forming tap specs.
They're a multi-column list of inch, mm, number-letter-fractional and tap size.
I like having everything listed in one size sorting rather than separate
boxes for this and that.
There is a lot of information that goes with forming taps and I think
that it's potentially confusing for folks who only use cut taps to have
it there. You might consider offering two versions.
I posted the cut tap version on a thread here many moons ago but
the link is broken as my web site went kerfluey. I'll work on bringing
it back up and post my new form tap chart as well.

A quick SMF/RPM table, by diameter would be a great wall reference for any one programming CNC's, or "adjusting speed" on a Bridgeport, or whatever...

a true position chart, and your terminology is absolutely correct. I think we got ours from Moore with a jig grinder about 30 years ago.

Kinds of drill bits and their uses.
Kinds of screws and their uses.

have yet to find a single chart that gives you all the values for a given size threaded fastener. Tap drill, actual thread percentage for that tap drill size (they are all compromises), RANGE of clearance hole drills from tight fit to loose fit, head sizes for various kinds of heads, countersink diameter, countersink depth (for holes in thin parts), counter bore diameter and depth for standard cap screws, etc. It is going to be a wide chart.

  • [machinist] thinking about doing a run of wall charts..consensus needed, Lawrence London, 09/01/2014