machinist - [machinist] Canola Oil for a lube? - Page 3

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] Canola Oil for a lube? - Page 3
  • Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 22:56:42 -0500

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/canola-oil-lube-275676/index3.html

ARCustomKnives is offline Plastic
Jul 2013
Location
Valparaiso, IN
Posts
24

I used to used heated canola/veggie oil to quench small to mid sized blades and tools before I found a source for the engineered (and in my opinion, much superior) quenchant I was after (parks #50). The parks quenchant may not be as green, but it lasts a heck of a lot longer, is much more consistent, and just works better overall.
Sure, canola might be less than 1/3 the price per gallon of an engineered quenchant, but when you have to buy 5 times more of it by the time you're done, for less than optimal results, the engineered oils pay for themselves over and over again.

  • [machinist] Canola Oil for a lube? - Page 3, Lawrence London, 12/31/2013