homestead - [Homestead] This year's garden

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: breaking-new-ground AT yahoogroups.com, Homestead_Friends AT yahoogroups.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org, brierpatch AT yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [Homestead] This year's garden
  • Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 20:12:44 -0500

There may not be much of a garden this year. We are building a house and that it taking a lot of time plus the on again off again spring is making it difficult to plan. A freeze is predicted for the end of the week, the first of May. I have managed to dig two beds and was hoping to rototill the part not in beds today. Instead I finished clearing out the garage of junk headed to the VFD garage sale, hauled a pile to the burn pile, then mowed the area where I was looking for the sewer washout. We want to hook the travel trailer there while we build.

Things are breaking this spring. The mower keeps throwing belts, it needs a new belt and possibly a new idler bearing. The cheapest place is on Amazon so they will be getting an order. The tiller would not start so after fighting with it I decided that rust and dirt were making a bad electrical connection so I ran a heavy wire to the block mounting bolt and that solved the problem. The string trimmer will not take the throttle which I think is crud in the carburetor. It is soaking in Sea Foam at the moment. I have three others, one will not start, one has a bad head, and the other is a brush cutter.

This afternoon we had the place appraised and tomorrow someone comes to look at the trailer. If all comes together we will be pouring concrete in three weeks and setting wood in four. So a garden may be late.

--
Don Bowen AD0BR
"A man must keep a little back shop where he can be himself without reserve. In