homestead - [Homestead] The Stuff That Gardeners' Dreams Are Made Of

  • From: "WILLIAM JONES" <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [Homestead] The Stuff That Gardeners' Dreams Are Made Of
  • Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 01:14:45 GMT

We've been growing an Andean tuber called _olluco_ for many years now.  I've
managed to keep two distinct varieties alive.  One has long red stems and
pure yellow tubers; the other has shorter, green stems, and yellow tubers
with red spots.
Last year I was clearing out the tubers, which grow at the end of long
runners like potatoes, and I found a sport!  It was a new color of tuber I'd
never seen before.  This one is a clear medium purple.  We saved it and
planted it this year.  The plant looks a little more like the red-stem kind,
except they're just deep bronzy pink, not red.  It's also on the viny side,
somewhere between the two others, but has somewhat smaller leaves.  It will
be nice to see if if sets some more purple tubers.  It's every gardener's
dream.
Last night, on the Eve of Lugh, I had a dream about the new olluco.  It was
my first vivid dream since my nightmare at rehab, surprising since I'd had my
first cannabiscuit in many weeks, and you expect dream rebound upon cessation
of therapy, not upon resumption.  In the dream, it was night, and I was
trying to track down the tubers which should have formed while I was away.
All I remember was quite a runaround, riding in old cars, grilling suspects,
climbing over walls.  Finally I got to where they had been stored.  There
were only three, small and perfectly round, and one or two appeared
slug-eaten, but not a total loss.

  • [Homestead] The Stuff That Gardeners' Dreams Are Made Of, WILLIAM JONES, 08/01/2012