homestead - [Homestead] Thinning Peach Fruit

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Thinning Peach Fruit
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 08:07:04 -0400

Hey all,

It's amazing what you learn by doing. I've not had time to do any thinning
of fruit. My research is saying that thinning should be done before the pit
hardens. My peaches and nectarines are the size of big marbles now.

I was watering the trees last night and this morning (really dry here) and
see that the smaller fruits are starting to yellow a bit. I can take my hand
and just brush against them and they fall off. The larger, greener fruits
take a twist and tug to pick off.

I'm assuming this is the normal fruit drop. That may not be news for the
more experienced, but it is for me. Next big wind or (hopefully) rain, a lot
of the thinning should be done for me. I'm thinking that by the end of May
the pits should be starting to harden around here so that's when I need to
do any further thinning.

Rob - Va

  • [Homestead] Thinning Peach Fruit, Robert Walton, 05/06/2010