homestead - Re: [Homestead] [Homestead_Friends] Second time around

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Homestead_Friends AT yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] [Homestead_Friends] Second time around
  • Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 16:53:19 -0700

tonitime wrote:
This is fantastic news, Don.......sounds like a great place for you and
yours! Will your wife and grandson be joining you in this new life? It
has been awhile since i have been in on your doings.
All of us will be there.
I hope you get your
way with this place, and are as glad of your home as we have been in
Eastern Kentucky! Every day - even at almost ten years - is just such a
wonderful things for us......and i have truly not missed California.

California is in rather deep dodo. The April Tax receipts were announced and they were 30% below expectations. The legislature pulled more smoke and mirrors last time and increased with holding without increasing taxes do monthly receipts were up. Well it seems no one can look past the next cycle and looking good in the press, democrats patted themselves on the back because they solved a problem without cutting spending while repugnicans patted themselves on the back because they did not raise taxes. Then they took the smoke as reality and were cheering because of the increased revenue. Then April 15 came along and more Californians received bigger refunds (mine was $8) and revenues plummeted way below the false expectations. The governor will be issuing the May revise to the budget and the fight will begin. Who to cut because because of a 2/3 majority requirement there will be no tax increases. Meanwhile a couple of industry financed screw jobs will be on the ballot to cause further problems.

I hate to leave California, I was born here and much of my family is here but I just cannot afford it. The taxes on the new place are under $400 a year, the taxes on this place are just over $4500 a year. The registration on my blue pickup for California wold have been $180 for a year, I registered it in Missouri for two years for $79 and that included title transfer fees. The trailer would have been $210, there is was about $60. I can do a lot with that money.

--
Don Bowen KI6DIU