homestead - Re: [Homestead] spaghetti squash

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] spaghetti squash
  • Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 10:57:25 -0700 (PDT)

It would be awesome if I could have a veggie stand, although I don't think it
would do well in this area due to very low income levels and high
unemployment.  There is an organic farm that sells to the public about 2
miles east of me on the main road although I've never seen anyone there.
There's a "big agri-farm stand" run north of town that always has at least
one car parked in the drive when I go by.  Plus the flea market, but most of
that looks pretty awful....

In Miami,,,,,,, there are a number of folks who either buy or grow veggies,
and either put them in the back of their pick up truck and sell by the
roadside on really busy roads where there is enough room to pull off, OR they
put them into small plastic bags and yell out either "Un Peso" or "One
Dollar" and walk up and down between the cars during the rush hour drive
home.  They sell a lot that way.  Everything from coconuts to tomatoes to
limes, all kinds of tropical fruits.    I've impulse bought from those guys
many times, since I they walk right up to the car windows and I didn't have
to get out of my car.... !  LOL

--- On Sat, 8/1/09, Lynn Wigglesworth <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com> wrote:

>What kind of hubbards? I haven't been able to learn how big >the blue
>hubbards get, or when to harvest.

The regular ones can get 15-20 pounds. That's too much squash for most
people (I sell squash and most people don't want the big ones), but I love
squash.  I'm growing the the big ones, but also the 'baby' hubbards that
stay under 10 pounds. You can get the 'babies' in almost any Hubbard
variety. I'm growing the golden, green, and blue. You can eat squash young,
but to have them keep over the winter, in the Northeast we wait until after
the first frost. They are 'ripe' when you can't easily scratch the skin with
your fingernail.

>Will the potatoes rot with too much water? I was wondering about that
>earlier this year, when I accidently left the irrigation line turned on for
>a whole day. The garden was flooded in that area. I did find a few
>partially rotted ones and wondered if that could have been the cause, even
>though the water disappears fairly quickly even after too much water. How
>tall are your >potato plants?

I've never had them rot, but I've rarely had this much water. I have clay
soil, and it hold the water like crazy. I've amended my beds, and they drain
pretty well, but still, between the clay and all the organic matter, they
are pretty wet. The potato plants are about 4' above ground level, but the
branches have fallen over several times, and I hilled them. They also were
started about 6" down in a trench.

>Celery likes a lot of water? Maybe that is why mine >died........... :-)

Celery is a bog plant. My area used to be the celery capital of the
Northeast. Says something about my area...

>My garlic was fairly small, but tastes great. If yours are big >maybe I
>need to water more.

I started harvesting the garlic this morning. They look great, but have huge
globs of mud sticking all over them. I have to carefully clean each bulb (I
don't want to wet them anymore, so I'm just scraping it off), then hang them
to dry in the barn, so it's going to take a long time to harvest (I have
300-400 bulbs). My bulbs are large, but I've been selecting for large bulbs
for about 5 years, so I've got a strain of garlic specific to my garden.

>What are you planning on doing with all the tomatoes?

I have a farm stand where I sell my pasture-raised beef and my veggies, and
tomatoes are always in demand. I sell out of tomatoes and garlic no matter
how much I raise.Theret should be an even bigger demand this year because a
lot of tomatoes have blight in this area. My plants are doing well and are
loaded with tomatoes. It seems to be an exceptional tomato year for me; no
blossom end rot, no strange, misshapen fruit, no blight.  If only half the
fruit ripens properly, I'll be swimming in tomatoes.

I can a lot (mostly as spaghetti sauce), and I l ive on tomato sandwiches
for a couple of months. By the time frost gets the plants, I've had my
tomato 'fix' for a while. I also have some  planted in the greenhouse, so
I'll have tomatoes until December.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA