homestead - Re: [Homestead] healthy fats

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] healthy fats
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 16:45:42 -0400

The concern here is heart healthiness...
I like comparing products. I compared my mayo to theirs,,,,mine actually came up better, and Lynda, I am a dyed in the wool Dukes (Sauers) mayo person. MMMMM...

The shortening...

I'm comparing it to Butter flavored Crisco from my kitchen...

Crisco label

Cal 110 Fat Cal 110
Total fat 12g
Sat fat 3g
Trans Fat 1.5g
Polyunsat fat 3g
Monounsat fat 4g
Vit A 4% from addition of Beta Carotene in butter flavored
Vit E 15%

Partially hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oil

Manufactured by JM Smucker Co.

Smuckers also apparently has a Smucker's Baking Healthy product that is part oil and part shortening, but I haven't found the info on that yet...should be an interesting comparison.
Spectrum Nutritional Info

Cal 110 Fat cal 110
Fat 13
Sat 6
Trans Fat 0g
Poly 2g
Mono 5g
Chol

No Beta carotene therefore no Vit A or Vit E???
Palm oil is usually red because of beta carotene, and contains tocotrienal, so I do not understand why this product would not contain Vit A or Vit E? Why would they remove those chemicals?

Organic palm oil

manufactured Spectrum Organics
$7 for 24 oz

A couple of years ago there was something about palm oil plantations and rainforest destruction...can't remember the details, but I recall that the loss of rainforests was blamed on the US love of fried foods.

I don't know what I am missing, but this shortening doesn't seem healthier to me.

--
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

--Cicero, 55 BC
http://erthnsky.blogspot.com/