homestead - Re: [Homestead] Good news!

  • From: "Sage Austin | Eureka! Design" <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Good news!
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 11:26:37 -0500

Wow, Bev, those are great numbers! I'm very proud of you for your diet change and that you are off the statins! That should make you feel even better. Keep up the good work!

EarthNSky wrote:
I went to the doctor earlier this week for the April checkup I mentioned
in the post I made below from last December. Since the first of the
year, my goal has been to lose 50 pounds in 2009-I want to lose a
minimum of 30, but 50 is better. To date, with a bit of exercise and
some dietary changes, I've lost 12 pounds.
Most of my diet changes have involved swapping animal fats(saturated
fats) for healthier plant fats (unsaturated). I eat a lot of fish, a
lot more veggies and fruits, and fewer starches. I increased my whole
grains and eliminated soft drinks(I do drink one every now and then, but
not every day like I used to)and I never really ate a lot of sweets
anyway.

After 4 months, here are the numbers:
Dec 2008 April 2009 Good
251 179 Total Cholesterol <200
274 204 Triglycerides <150
38 24 HDL >45
164 114 LDL <130

I got kudos from the doc and no statins for me!
He told me to further increase my B vitamins and maybe take fish oil to
further lower the triglycerides. Ethnically, I come from a fishing
tribe of Sami, so perhaps my body is genetically used to even more fish
than I currently eat.(twice a week for dinner, plus 2 or 3 cans of
sardines or mussels a week), but I can take fish oil, too, I suppose. I
keep hearing that Mama had it right with the cod liver oil I took as a
kid...maybe I can try that again. As nasty as it is, at least it is not
a pill. I'm sick of pills!

Anyway, I just wanted to share this with y'all...
I'm hoping that as our exercise picks up, the HDL numbers will rise.

Bev

I have the lab results: My cholesterol and triglycerides are high.
Big surprise there. :) I'm giving my caveats first: 1. I had not
fasted..bloodwork was taken 4.5 hours after a meal. This should not
affect HDL numbers but like Wendy noted, will affect triglycerides
and LDL, etc. 2. I was taking a round of oral prednisone 3. Even
though my thyroid hormones are now within normal limits, I have historically had high triglyceride levels (even with 180 cholesterol numbers)...super high levels in fact.(700+) 4. I do not eat very
much fried food, but I get a lot of dietary fat from dairy-need to
work on substitutions there..

Total cholesterol 251 This is a personal record(normally 180-205) HDL
38 should be above 40 LDL 164 should be very low
Triglycerides
274 should be even low (my lowest result ever)

These numbers are "bad" according to standard medical thinking. I
don't have the full report (it's in the mail), but the RN told me
that the doc wrote on my chart that I was probably genetically
predisposed to high triglycerides and that he wanted to discuss
statins with me. After reading Wendy's post, I kind of freaked a
bit, and called back and spoke to him directly. He has agreed that I
can try diet and exercise, and have given me until the end of April
to make a difference in the numbers. At that time, if the numbers
aren't good, we have to discuss statins again. So basically I am off
to the races on lowering my cholesterol and triglycerides.