homestead - Re: [Homestead] mice or cutworms?

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] mice or cutworms?
  • Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 21:28:33 -0800

Ground squirrels (not the bushy tailed ones) will do that. The little SOBs even came up on my deck and ate all my herbs right down to the ground. What they didn't like they bit off and tossed! I've never had mice bother anything plant-wise.

We tried poison and the nasty little critters seem to think it is vitamins or something. Got a few cats and now the plants are all safe.

Lynda
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley
----- Original Message ----- From: "Leslie" <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>

Had planted sunflowers, beans, peas, lima beans last weekend. They started to come up.... and BAM!

I started finding the tops of some were cut off and rolled off the hill of the row into the valley, and most are just gone. The stem of the plant is visible just below the surface.

"Fuz", the local about 20 miles north, is having a big problem with mice this year, he's starting his 3rd planting.

How can I tell the difference between mice and cutworms? I don't see any mice dropping, or cutworms in/on the soil............(which is a light sandy color)

  • Re: [Homestead] mice or cutworms?, Lynda, 04/30/2009