homestead - Re: [Homestead] Potato Question

  • From: Lisa Kae Van Meter Perry <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Potato Question
  • Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 11:30:27 -0400

On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 9:35 AM, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

> Hilling potatoes works. That's how we did it on the Wisconsin farm.
> Good exercise.

My stupid potato question was asked on another thread that I don't think was
answered.

We have 12 dwarf apple trees that don't produce much foliage (the damage
from deer last year deer didn't help), could I possibly plant potatoes under
and throughout the 'tree patch' laying straw under them and covering them
with straw? I know a few people who use straw instead of soil.

We are getting rid of the dwarf trees to gain more garden space--but they
aren't gone yet.

I'm like to save my tilled garden space for other veggies that take up less
room than potatoes.

Thanks,

Lisa