homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fig Trees

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fig Trees
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 17:01:58 -0700

If root-bound figs thrive, then I offer another idea. My second- nearest neighbor raises cattle. He buys supplement for them in these big, black tubs, perhaps thirty inches across. Very tough material. I use them for various purposes. When I was battling walnut roots I contemplated making buried root baskets by cutting the bottom out of one of them, using that as the top of the container at the soil surface and taping two original tops together with just slits in the bottom one for drainage. Sounds like maybe these figs would do well in just one of the tubs. Know any cattlemen around you?