homestead - Re: [Homestead] Anybody here???

  • From: "roxann" <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, "" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Anybody here???
  • Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 14:36:33 +0000

Hi Bob,

Both of the outside dogs have igloo-type houses on the porch with hay inside.
But they rarely sleep in them. Mostly, I find the great pyr under the tree on
the hill overlooking the valley. He either lays in the leaves or on the
rubber mats in front of the hitching post that I have for the horses. He's
cold hardy, has two layers of fur- an outer longer hair and an inner short
fur. The other dog is a little more cold sensitive, but still splashes
through the creek even when it's icy, so she's fine out there too.

As for cooking, I have a little more luxury now, lol. We dug out the camp
stove and put on a propane bottle so now we have actual burners. I had to
stay overnight at work Friday night to catch up on lost time, and left my 12
yrold son in charge of making biscuits on the woodstove, since he'd seen me
do it every day so far and was the one in charge of stoking the fire to keep
it hot enough. well, apparently he gave everyone a scare when he took
charge...the oldest walked into the room and the woodstove was cherry red
from being overhot and my youngest was busy slaving away, flipping biscuits
to keep them from burning. That's when hubbie promptly found the gas stove.
No harm done, but it will be a memory they'll keep forever, I think.

Still now power and no trucks in site in my area. They're too busy still
working the more populated spots.

Roxann, NW AR
http://blog.ancientearthwisdom.com (Ozark Musings from the homestead)