homestead - [Homestead] Irish Cream recipe

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Irish Cream recipe
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 12:24:48 -0500

For Rob and any others...*

Irish Cream *

*Ingredients:*

- 1 (750 ml) bottle Irish whiskey (750 ml = 3 cups)
- 8 3/4 ounces milk chocolate (2/3 bag choc chips, could use choc
syrup)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 2 (12 fluid ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon instant coffee granules (I subbed w/ 2 T strong coffee)

This recipe is easily cut in half, or make full amount and enjoy all winter
or give a quart jar away as a gift. A full recipe makes three 750 ml
bottles.
Directions:1. Pour a small amount of whiskey into a large bowl. In the top
of a double boiler, melt chocolate, stirring constantly until smooth. Mix
the melted chocolate with the whiskey in the bowl. Gradually stir in the
sweetened condensed milk and the evaporated milk. Stir in the cream, instant
coffee granules, and the remaining whiskey. 2. Pour mixture into 3 (750 ml)
bottles, seal and store in refrigerator. Best if kept at least 1 month
before using. To serve: shake bottle well, serve in small glasses over
crushed ice.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Irish-Cream-Liqueur-II/Detail.aspx

My notes: I cheated and used a cheap brand of whiskey no one would offer to
friends. I used dark chocolate chips instead of milk chocolate. As noted
above, I used real coffee (strong, the only kind we make) instead of
instant. The recipe is still d*mn good.