homestead - Re: [Homestead] Our digital trail - "Orwellian future"

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Lynda <lurine AT softcom.net>, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Our digital trail - "Orwellian future"
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 22:05:40 -0800 (PST)

The whole deal is the combination, and I don't think there are restrictions,
just reporting requirements. You say part of your family owns stations. If
somweone that you didn't know, pulled in in a rental truck with a bunch of
barrels in the back and proceeded to fil them with diesel, you wouldn't alert
anyone (and what if you knoticed the tons of fertilizer stacked in the
back)?. I remeber a man getting busted (actually in a shootout, somewhere
around Bumblebee, AZ); the cops went there intitally because they had been
tipped off that he had bought a bunch of diesel and fertilizer.

Anyway, like I said it was an example; kind of a bad one, because if I owned
a diesel station and somebody (a stranger who didn't look like he was in the
business) pulled up and started filling multiple barrels of diesel next to
bags of fertilizer, even I might think he needed to be questioned, at least,
about his intentions.

There are reporting requirements that are admistrative directives, rather
than laws. They go along with licensure. Some are even called voluntary.
For example, I recently read of a directive that motel employees report
"suspicious activity". This was an indirect part of all of the
patri*t/h*meland sec*rity crap, but not part of an actual law.

It's kind of like the USSR used to be where you were expected to report on
your neighbor for the general collectivist good.

I should have stuck with an example of which I was more sure , like the cash
transaction stuff or the ephedrine stuff....