homestead - Re: [Homestead] Stealing an Election-Big Picture

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Stealing an Election-Big Picture
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 14:41:19 -0700 (PDT)

The reach of habeas corpus is currently being tested in the United States.
Oral arguments on a consolidated Guantanamo Bay detention camp detainee
habeas corpus petition,

Al Odah v. United States were heard by the Supreme Court of the United States
on December 5, 2007. US courts' jurisdiction was altered by Congress in HR
1955, The Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act of
2007.

On June 12, 2008, the Supreme Court ruling in Boumediene v. Bush recognized
habeas corpus rights for the Guantanamo prisoners. On October 7, 2008, the
first Guantanamo prisoners were ordered released by a court considering a
habeus corpus petition.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habeas_corpus