homestead - Re: [Homestead] Alas, Garden planning

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Alas, Garden planning
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 16:40:05 -0400

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 2:51 PM, EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Today also marks my 10 year anniversary here at EarthNSky. We moved
> here on Halloween of 1998.

Congrats. It does not seem that long. I was not long back from El
Salvador in 98, that seems like a long time ago. I'd not even bought
the > I want to grow multiple
> squashes, but I have to figure out exactly how to do that in a small
> area.

If you have Seed to Seed, the various families or whatever of squash
are listed. If you have varieties in different groups, they don't
cross. I have the book , so feel free to ask.

> What, if anything, are y'all doing for your 2010 garden and beyond?

My garden had been limed, but having the fields limed is a big step.
At least however infertile, the ph will be right. For the garden,
still have not got a cover crop in, but will. I'm giving it a good
dose of ashes over the winter and also hoping to start collecting
leaves in town in a few weeks when they fall.

For crops, I will try a for a crop of field corn this year, maybe some
soybeans. Hopefully it will rain.

Rob - Va