homestead - [Homestead] Fevers of Unknown Origin

  • From: Akka Homestead <akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Fevers of Unknown Origin
  • Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 09:38:15 -0700 (PDT)

I normally run low grade fevers.  My normal temp is 96.8, not 98.6.  If my
fever is 101, I am VERY sick.  101 for me is like 103 for most people..
Thursday, I felt fine, better than fine even.   I went to bed Thursday night
as usual.  In the middle of the night, I started shaking, but convulsing
would probably describe it better.  I have been hypothermic in my life, and I
swear I did not shake as violently as I did Thursday night.  I pulled muscles
in my back and both arms, and today I feel like I've been hit by a truck.
The shaking episode lasted about 2 hours.  I got up around 7 feeling really
sick..head pounding, dizzy, mostly fever type symptoms, so I went back to
bed.  It was a real struggle to set myself up with ice water..I knew I was
dehydrated because my tongue was literally glued to my palate.   I woke up
around 9 and realized that I must have a fever, so I took it.  103.7!!!
Holy crap!  I was actually scared, but felt so bad that the only thing I did
was to sit up and drink some water.  My muscles hurt so badly that it was
difficult to sit up, let alone go to the bathroom.  Aspirin brought the fever
down to around 101, and for most of the day my fever stayed between 100.5 and
101.8, as long as I took aspirin and kept drinking. I drank over 1.5 gallons
of water.  Mostly, I napped all day, getting up only to refill the water and
to go to the bathroom.  Last night, I started to get better.  I convinced DH
to put some Bengay on my back and arms and within about 45 minutes, my fever
broke.. When that happened, I felt well enough to drink some chicken broth
and gatorade, but that was it.  Last night was uneventful, normal night with
normal wakeups...and this morning, while I am still weak, I feel pretty good.
No fever.
I've heard of fevers of unknown origin.  I guess I just had one.  Strange.  I
lost almost 10 pounds in the ordeal, so perhaps I should have fevers like
this more often? <g>
I'm good now, though.  Anyone else had anything like this recently?  Is there
some bug going around?

Akka