homestead - Re: [Homestead] Barns

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Barns
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 05:51:42 -0700 (PDT)

Oops wrote this a while ago but guess it never got sent

--- Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

> I recently wrote a review on a book you will want:
>
> Eric Sloane's An Age of Barns: An Illustrated Review
> of Classic Barn
> Styles and Construction (Paperback)

Gene, thanx for that information and the affermation. I have that book, a
Christmas gift from the wife. Interesting story. Sloane said that he was
trying to get more info on barns, went to the library and asked, the only
thing they had was his own book.

> Eric Sloane is known to many of us who love
> traditional country things
> as the superb and prolific American artist and
> author who gave us
> books with good words and even better drawings.
> Sloane was an
> accidental historian of that era of American life
> when agriculture was
> king.

Eric Sloane was a supurb artist, who was also one of the best graphic
communicators I've seen. Many artists can do great pictures, but it is a
another thing to be able to make a drawing that can present the subject as
well as an entire set of directions. Oh yes, he knew his subject well.
I have several of his books and hope someday to aquire them all.
(Dover books cataloge has most if not all)

> I have known two barns intimately. The barn on our
> Wisconsin farm was
> a classic two-story bank barn built of stone on the
> lower level with
> hand-hewn posts and beams above, a cupola topping it
> off. >
> The humble hillbilly barn at Heartwood in Missouri
> has two sections
> separated by a drive-through. In barns this design
> is called double-
> crib;

The barns that I'm familiar with were mostly of the "western style".
don't remember if that was Sloanes designation or someone elses. Many used
the same layout as the double crib, but were built as a unit so that term
wasn't used.

Van Dell

  • Re: [Homestead] Barns, VAN DELL JORDAN, 07/01/2008