homestead - Re: [Homestead] Raised Bed Advice

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Raised Bed Advice
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 12:04:08 -0500

On Jun 30, 2008, at 11:35 AM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

The objection is often raised that one loses that much planting space due to
the sloped sides. Not so, the sides are planted as well giving the bed MORE
planting surface than one with physical sides.

Not trying to disparage sides, but only to dispell the myth that they are
necessary.

I agree completely. The original raised bed design is as you describe, simply sloped and shaped sides, which can be planted.

Boards rot out eventually. Treated wood is also a worry. Stone is too wide.

The reason I am heading in the direction of seriously-raised ferrocement beds--like kitchen counter height--is for protection against body traitorship, moles, armadillos, rabbits, groundhogs, and now the damned walnut roots. With the top edges outsloping, I think they may even repel squirrels. These beds will have solid concrete floors with screened drain holes out the low side, above the concrete mowing and standing edge.

Of course geriatric deer will also be able to garden without bending over.

These structures will also make good barricades from behind which to fire upon advancing city hordes.