homestead - Re: [Homestead] Stone Walls

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Stone Walls
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 21:47:05 -0500

On Jun 3, 2008, at 9:20 PM, Robert Walton wrote:

This was one of my questions, I know that the drier the mix, the
stonger the concrete, but to use the forms, it seems that it would
need to be a little wetter than normal.

Not really. If you find you need more workability, try lime mortar. With Portland cement, sand, and small aggregate you can use a small stick to poke the mortar into place.

I'm going to have to get a small form together and experiment. I need
some little walls around flower and herb beds. Seems like I could get
a good idea making some little walls like that. Play.

There is no substitute for just doing it. Books will get you started but then you learn by doing.