homestead - Re: [Homestead] Stone Walls

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Stone Walls
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 14:52:40 -0400

> So out on the mower, where I do some of my best thinking, I thought
> about it. The answer is use enough concrete to fill all spaces between
> adjacent stones. Strive to avoid voids. With small stones--say, less
> than softball size--I would use small aggregate; rather than concrete
> gravel in the concrete mix I would use pea gravel.

Thanks for thinking of me on the mower :>) That makes sense. I really
think that I'm going to play around with this some making some walls
in the garden. Won't have to worry about height and loads and if they
fail, they fail.

My resource here is a lot of stones that are the size of a baseball to
softball. The small aggregate makes sense.

I also like the idea of using the form on one side so you can see how
the stones look for jobs that matter and use big stones.

Rob - Va