homestead - Re: [Homestead] Stone Walls

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Stone Walls
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 08:58:58 -0500

On Jun 3, 2008, at 8:37 AM, Robert Walton wrote:

What is a good thickness/ratio of concrete to stones/these are small
stones mostly/ do I need to reinforce with iron

Reinforcement design depends on height and load resistance.

Rather than full slipform design--see Flagg/Nearing/Kern--I prefer using a plywood form at the back and none at the front, so you can see how the face stones appear. You will be looking at them for a very long time, hopefully.

What I have evolved to is a stone foundation topped at ground level with a reinforced footing that includes a mower lip. Near the back of the footing have rebar sticking up, into what will become an area of more concrete and smaller stones fitted around the rebar, backing the biggest, prettiest stones for the front facing.