homestead - Re: [Homestead] Garlic questions

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Garlic questions
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 19:56:23 -0500

On Jun 2, 2008, at 7:37 PM, EarthNSky wrote:

Yes, zone 7, but they are in a protected area, heavily mulched, so that
helps.

Robert Walton wrote:
I cut my scapes about ten days ago, Rob. You want all the plant's
energy to go into the bulb.. I dice up the scapes and dry them or use
them in marinades if convenient.

Interesting aside here: the horses that demolished my garlic patch two winters ago "planted" some here and there--I visualize gobs of gorgeous garlic hanging from their mouths as they cavort, kick up their heels and whinny--a couple plants of which looked good but were in the way of mowing the paths. So I transplanted into a bed. Well, get enough dirt with it and garlic transplants just fine. This morning I strolled down there and found a big, curling scape showing off on a transplanted monster.

I've not eaten these things in the past, don't recall why, but since you all are talking about it, that scape will find itself inside of me tomorrow, maybe with eggs.