homestead - Re: [Homestead] Garlic questions

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Garlic questions
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 23:46:31 -0400

> Depends on how old it is. Even fall planted, this is early for plants
> to be finishing up. When did you plant?

I planted at the end of December. Almost fall :>)

> No. Do you have those scapes and seed pods forming? If so, then you
> are seriously early. Of course you are further south, right? What is
> your zone?

I'm zone 7a. No scapes forming yet.

> Btw, the garlic I planted the day after I got here this spring, April
> 3rd, is doing well. Still too early to know for sure but right now it
> looks like spring-planted is going to be okay.
>
> I have interplanted some broccoli in it as an experiment.

I've planted late March, early April here and got respectable garlic.
I usually grow some green garlic between the broccoli, this year the
weak cloves I planted mostly failed I noticed some signs of bugs on my
broccoli tonight.

Rob - Va