homestead - [Homestead] Garlic questions

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Garlic questions
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 21:30:55 -0400

I've got a couple of questions on garlic. I'm getting better at
raising it. This year's crop has been doing well.

Lately, I noticed that the tips of the older leaves are yellowing and
then going brown at the tips. I've not fertilized heavily or anything.
Is that normal aging?

Also, when the garlic blooms and then you get the little baby cloves
on the flower, is it best to plant those in the fall or cloves. I've
got something in my head telling me that you get better garlic from
the little seed cloves than the regular cloves. Is that correct?

Rob - Va