homestead - Re: [Homestead] How to judge history, was Obama and religion

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] How to judge history, was Obama and religion
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 05:11:52 -0500

On Apr 30, 2008, at 11:29 PM, Lynda wrote:

While doing geneology research for folks I've had occasion to communication
with the folks at the Missouri History Museum. They even publish their
stuff in French, Spanish and English. A lot of the old legal documents I've
gotten were still being written in French until the early 1800s.

The primary early exploration route was the Mississippi. St. Louis, of course, is a French name and indicates the influence. The purported first town of any size west of the Mississippi, coming from the East, was and is St. Genevieve, which is south of St. Louis. Very interesting house building design there, including vertical poles, like the early forts.