homestead - Re: [Homestead] How to judge history, was Obama and religion

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] How to judge history, was Obama and religion
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 20:29:32 -0800

Huh? There was more French spoken there, even more Spanish than English until quite late in the history of the state.

While doing geneology research for folks I've had occasion to communication with the folks at the Missouri History Museum. They even publish their stuff in French, Spanish and English. A lot of the old legal documents I've gotten were still being written in French until the early 1800s.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "VAN DELL JORDAN" <vdjor AT yahoo.com>

the spanish and french languages did not have a whole
lot of influence in Missouri... exept maybe along the
mississippi. It is probable that by the time the
creek in Gene's area was named the only way the locals
had heard the word nigger was in relation of black
people.
Van Dell

'
--- Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

> Not
> sure why, but there is a crossing of Bryant Creek
about a mile from
> here named Nigger Ford. I have been unable to
verify that perhaps it
> is so-called because a black family lived there.

'Nigger' is a creole anglicizaton of the Spanish
'negro' or perhaps the
French 'niger' which both simply mean 'black'. In
the old parlance of the South,
it is not a pejorative word. A species of pine here
is called 'nigger pine"
because the wood is streaked in black and what is
scientifically classified as a
Black Oak is in the vernacular a "nigger oak".

Knowing that the word has become offensive since the
time of the old South,
most people don't use it. But it is a bias on your
part to think that the
person who named the crossing 'Nigger Ford' had
anything but its color in mind. </HTML>

http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/homestead/vdjor%40yahoo.com