homestead - Re: [Homestead] Was Localism, now Seed Varieties

  • From: paxamicus AT earthlink.net
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Was Localism, now Seed Varieties
  • Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 21:31:21 -0500

I have tried hard, really hard, over the last few years to eat locally. Most of the time I have no problems.
What gets me *every* winter is citrus. I get to craving citrus and eventually I find myself drooling at the site of oranges.
It is not pretty in the co-op, I tell you. I lose control and the next thing you know I'm sitting on the floor of fruit section with pith on my chin and juice down my front.
And oooooohhhh...Clementines.

I found a recipe for Picked Limes in Cook's Illustrated recently. I am probably the only weirdo who remembers this, but in the book Little
Women, Amy gets in trouble for smuggling pickled limes into school, and she gets wrapped on the knuckles. It was scandalous. I always wondered what they were.
And I loved that her mother took her out of school and homeschooled her because of it. ; )

Anyway, pickled limes and lemons sound like heaven right now. I'm thinking next year I need to candy oranges. It is so humid here, I have never had good luck drying fruit.

Cheers