homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tools for homesteading

  • From: Don Bowen KI6DIU <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tools for homesteading
  • Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 23:18:18 -0800

Tools are a favorite subject of mine. I recently moved my storage and managed to get back in touch with many of my tools if only for a moment.

Let me add to the list.

Vise, metal bench vise. Get a good sturdy one, not a cheap piece of Chinese junk that will ding with every hit. I have an old Prentiss that I bought from a guy in a parking lot. The forward haw had been welded but is has survived many years of abuse from me. I gave it to my son because I have another older American vise.

Woodworking front vise mounted on the front of a good sturdy workbench. I have two Columbia vises that I need to restore and mount on a bench.
http://www.braingarage.com/Dons/Travels/journal/January%2008/images/vise.jpg

Working end vise mounted on the end of the above sturdy workbench. I would like one of the double screw vises with the chain drive.

I also have a Columbia post or leg vise. This is the blacksmith vise that has the long leg that mounts in a short post in the ground. They can be hammered on.

Workmates are a good lightweight substitute. Look for the older ones with the cast aluminum frame. I carry a newer one with the stamped steel frame with me in the pickup.

I plan to build a shave horse whenever I get settled.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up KI6DIU
http://www.braingarage.com