homestead - [Homestead] Ralph Nader enters presidential race

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj AT intrex.net>
  • To: Biodynamic Food and Farming Discussion <bdnow AT envirolink.org>, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Ralph Nader enters presidential race
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 01:42:30 -0500

<http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/02/24/nader.politics/index.html>
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Ralph Nader is entering the presidential race as an independent, he announced Sunday, saying it is time for a "Jeffersonian revolution."
Ralph Nader is running for president as an independent.

"In the last few years, big money and the closing down of Washington against citizen groups prevent us from trying to improve our country. And I want everybody to have the right and opportunity to improve their country," he told reporters after an appearance announcing his candidacy on NBC's "Meet the Press."

Asked why he should be president, the longtime consumer advocate said, "Because I got things done." He cited a 40-year record, which he said includes saving "millions of lives," bringing about stricter protection for food and water and fighting corporate control over Washington.

Nader's decision, which did not come as a surprise to political watchers, marks his fourth straight White House bid -- fifth if his 1992 write-in campaign is included.