homestead - [Homestead] Whitewash Recipe

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Whitewash Recipe
  • Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 00:50:30 -0500

Whitewash Recipe

Quick Lime can be used. When lime is added to moisture it heats up.
Really heats up. Do not use plastic buckets or utensils. They will melt.

Whitewash is really only lime and water. Other ingredients added for
durability. We use one cup salt (table salt - sodium chloride), 2
cups lime, 2 cups calcium chloride to a gallon of water. The
consistency should be like milk. For larger amounts - a stiff paste
can be made of 38 lbs quicklime to 8 gallons of water or 50 lbs
hydrated lime to 6 gallons of water, then thinned with additional
water to the milk consistency.

Other names of the limes used are chemical hydrate, ag spray hydrate,
finishing lime, pressure hydrated lime. The more refined the lime the
smoother the paint, especially important if you plan to spray the paint.

One old timer I know of uses Kerosene in the mixture. She likes the
oil base for painting. Given the quality of lime mentioned above, I
am reluctant - of course when I look "aghast" I get laughed at - after
all she's still around.

Another Regarding whitewash - Prepare whitewash in well ventilated
areas - we always do this outside! Hydrated Lime or option is casein,
which makes the solution oil-based also. In the days when they had an
abundance of milk, it was used as the liquid - this gives the
whitewash a latex-like quality. Anyway the calcium chloride added
keeps the paint from being so chalky and adds to the durability, nice
if used where temperature get very cold. White glue or white Portland
cement can also be added to get a heavy cream consistency if you want
a thicker paint.

As you can see there is an abundance of options. That's why I settled
for the simpler method. It worked, it lasts. Oh, mix only what you
think you can use each time - it doesn't keep well. Happy Painting!

--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.

  • [Homestead] Whitewash Recipe, EarthNSky, 12/25/2007