homestead - Re: [Homestead] Roasted Peanuts

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Roasted Peanuts
  • Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 12:55:15 -0800

If your well water has a bunch of minerals in it, it will change the chemistry of how and how much of the brine your peanuts absorb. We have really hard water so I use distilled water, make a heavy brine using sea salt and then boil them for a little while. I then put the lid on and let them soak the rest of the day and overnight. Seems to do the trick.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Mogrits" <mogrits AT gmail.com>

I was using our well-water and surprisingly- some coarse kosher salt I found
in the cabinet. I think I just didn't soak them long enough, or they will
have to be boiled a little to make them absorb the water/salt. Maybe even in
a pressure cooker, but we don't have one. I'll add that to my yard sale
lookout list.

Warren
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
11:59 AM