homestead - Re: [Homestead] Wood Floors

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Wood Floors
  • Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 21:50:34 -0500

Gene GeRue wrote:
On Nov 4, 2007, at 6:11 PM, Robert Walton wrote:

I'm thinking about going to a mill near here and getting some plank
wood for the floor and walls. Has any one done this? I'd like to put
down a plank floor. Do I need the wood to be tongue and groove? If I
just use oak planks for instance and finish them in place, my concern
is the groves that would be left between the planks. How do you handle
that?

Your concern about grooves would be exacerbated by shrinkage.

Our home was built in 1968 from trees felled on the sight. The floors were untreated pine boards(yellow pine), which had it's appeal, but over thirty years, had been gouged, painted in parts, and generally abused. The woodstove in the house, I think, caused exaggerated heating and cooling over that time, and when we bought the house, the gaps between the planks were about 1/8", actually larger in places. This made for impossible cleaning...Because the floor was in such rough shape, we recently covered it with a good laminate and I can't be happier. No more cracks to dig out, and now when I clean the floor, it looks clean and IS clean.

Bev
--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.