homestead - Re: [Homestead] More updates and a question about Denim

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] More updates and a question about Denim
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 20:01:52 -0500

On 9/29/07, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

> Having zero expertise on the subject, this is probably far off the
> wall, but how about sunlight? Get it out there on a bunch of Georgia
> rocks, hose it down, squirt some bleach on it in a haphazard pattern,
> let the sunlight do what it will.

Don't do that, Bev!!!! The bleach will take all the color out and
combined with the sun it will probably weaken the fabric substantially
-- but just in spots and lines. You might try soaking it in a very
dilute bleach solution, rinsing well, and then line drying (repeat
until shade you want is reached).

It would be nice if you had a bit of the fabric that you could
experiment with -- then you wouldn't end up with a whole bunch of
denim that you use for work clothes (the kind you wear when you don't
expect any company and you're doing something so nasty that you might
want to throw the clothes away anyhow).

Marie

PS: Bev, so glad to hear that the lad is alive and well and moving
right along. I wondered about him from time to time (but then I've
wondered about you too).