homestead - [Homestead] More updates and a question about Denim

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] More updates and a question about Denim
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 14:19:17 -0400

Hello all...
To those of you who asked for updates(sorry I can't answer
individually-but I enjoyed hearing from you guys-I've missed you all),
Kate's doing fine, 21 years old now, and now 6 months
pregnant with our first grandchild/granddaughter, Jordan. It's a high
risk pregnancy due to her heart condition and her thyroid issues, but so
far so good. She's still married, still working full time plus as the
lead vet tech at the animal hospital, and generally doing very well. I
suppose all those late nights in the barn clipping rabbit nails while
waiting on the goats to kid paid off. <g>
Ron and I are fine-trying to find time to enjoy life. We go canoeing
and fishing at least once a month, in between working on our ever
present projects. Today, Ron is cleaning up the shop in preparation to
build Kate a rocking chair for the baby. He is also making a picture
frame for a beloved poster I inherited from my Dad(of Pacific NW oceanic
fish), as well as a frame for my certificate from the American Chemical
Society. We still don't have any wood for this winter though, and time
is short. We did get the woodstove fixed and ready to go last weekend,
and we also finished the new greenhouse roof.
I'm cleaning house and going to try to get the garden beds ready for
some cabbage, broccoli, and garlic. I also hope to get the tomato
fencing up and winterize what I need to protect. Due to working full
time, the garden is in a state of neglect. I don't think I've turned my
compost pile all summer. Health-wise, I'm hanging in there-RA is still
under control. I had a bit of a cancer scare recently, just in case I
didn't have enough drama from work, so I take this opportunity to ask
all of you hardworking homestead women to take time out for a
mammogram... I'm fine though, no worries. I tried to look at the
positive side of things, even got a few Reiki treatments from a good
friend, and joked about the situation a lot. I really could have been
an Amazon...lol.. I guess, too, it is only fair to ask you homestead
guys to get your prostate checked.
Okay, so on to my question...
One of the largest and oldest denim mills in the country(Mount Vernon
Mills) is located in the next county, and I am lucky enough to have a
friend who works there. He acquired part of a bolt of denim for me so
that I might make a throw for my sofa. It's 70" wide by 10 yards long.
It's reasonably soft already-I suppose they enzyme washed it, but it is
still very dark blue. I would like to soften the color and texture a
bit more as well as shrink it before I start sewing on it. I know I
could add bleach or vinegar, but was wondering if any of you had any
ideas of how I might get this massive chunk of denim to a stonewashed
color. Any ideas? How much vinegar or bleach should I use for that
amount of fabric?

Bev

--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.