homestead - [Homestead] Tethers in Space

  • From: "Wendy" <crazygardens AT verizon.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Tethers in Space
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 09:50:11 -0500

For those of you are interested in space tethers, I found this link that
makes a summary of the tethers projects.

http://www.vectorsite.net/tarokt_5.html

Most of it seems to be more accurate than some of what I have read on the
web. I have trouble declaring an experiment a "failure" if the premise was
not proven. Finding problems and phenomena that were unexpected are also
proof of a successful experiment. For example the author states that the
first TSS project was a failure because the feed mechanism jammed. Sort of.
The tether snagged on a mounting bolt....long story. However, it did pay
out enough line for us to know that we had greatly underestimated the power
generation capabilities of a conductive tether. Even at the reduced length,
the power generated overloaded the equipment. So, they knew they had to up
the power capabilities before the next launch. The second TSS launch ended
with the tether being burned through from the power, not insulation damage
causing a short as is described in the text. The insulation was insufficient
for the voltage generated. As you can tell, I think this stuff is cool.

Wendy