homestead - [Homestead] Writer and copy editor alert

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: Homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Writer and copy editor alert
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 17:44:08 -0500

A Farewell to Hyphens
The Shorter Oxford English Dictionary unburdens 16,000 words of their hyphens.

By Brian Braiker
Newsweek
Updated: 1 hour, 6 minutes ago

Sept. 26, 2007 - Hyphen, line on my page, dash in my copy. My joiner of words, my separator of syllables. Hy-phen: the breath of the lungs bursting forth from the diaphragm to loosely bite the lower lip and exhale again on two. Hy. Phen.

We never got a chance to say goodbye.

The whole gosh-darn British-centric but Amurican-influenced situation may be found at:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20998371/site/newsweek/