homestead - Re: [Homestead] Armadillos

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: strata AT virtual.net, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Armadillos
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 15:53:16 -0500

On Sep 24, 2007, at 3:26 PM, Strata R Chalup wrote:

Gene,

Planting new trees in a chicken-wire-lined hole will preserve them. Until then, I hear they make a good substitute for pork in many recipes, especially BBQ.

Well, thanks, that would get the tree established before the wire rotted. The bigger issue is garden beds. I very much look forward to ferrocement walls on seriously raised beds. Put some hardware cloth, crushed glass, punctured plastic panels or such at the bottom to deter the voles and moles, and I believe one could garden with no more than Zeus to contend with.

I don't eat pork. These things are so nasty I would not know where to start to prepare them for eating. Hairy, dirty, carapaced, just basically repulsive.