homestead - Re: [Homestead] Call for Ideas !

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Call for Ideas !
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:57:40 -0500

Gene, I thought we had. :(

I should point out our neighbors are FROM here, simple country folk perhaps desiring that city look. God forbid you should keep a shrub around that might harbor a coyote or javelina. It's 2-1/2 hours away to a corporate job, 1-1/2 to the nearest Starbucks, 1 to WalMart. The school hasn't been updated in decades, no medical services, all others 'volunteer'. Property values have gone up about 64 percent since I bought six years ago so land is no longer cheap.

Part of the problem is that ranchers can't make a living anymore (bottom fell out of mohair, can't hire illegals to sheer, etc.) and their kids have all gone to college to become doctors and lawyers, don't want to do anything other than drive their shiny hummers and ATVs around on their childhood haunts. The only way they can keep up with the taxes is to sell off chunks to little folks like us. This kind of fragmentation is going on all over the Texas hill country right now. I'm sure this is happening elsewhere, too. And Texas isn't fortunate enough to have public lands to nestle up against.

I'll look for your book.

--Sage
Way out in Texas

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:12:59 -0500