homestead - Re: [Homestead] Call for Ideas !

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Call for Ideas !
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 08:09:08 -0500

On Sep 12, 2007, at 1:52 AM, <eureka AT hctc.net> <eureka AT hctc.net> wrote:

I am putting out a call for ideas for an affordable,
good-looking (maybe even artful), and relatively quick
solution to creating 800 linear feet of privacy. . . .
Recently the 5,000 acre ranch that surrounds two sides of
our land was sold to a developer who is chopping it up
into small parcels. We were not aware of this until our
only neighbors announced they had bought one that
surrounded us. . . . Tonight on our walk we
were devastated by the sight of all the shrubs and trees
ripped out on our one remaining virgin side, a small
sliver of land no wider than 10-12 feet between us and a
deep wash. . . . Give me your ideas!!!

In your present emotional state you are not thinking clearly, so keep all ideas and come back to them in a month or three.

If you are past the sick-in-the-pit-of-the-stomach state, start making a list of all possible answers.

Include finding a new place to spend the rest of your lives.

In the meantime it will give you solace to feel like you are doing the best you can to deal with the situation. Check with your Extension service and see if there is a fast-growing vine that thrives in the dry, rocky landscape.

Mind you I am not seriously suggesting this, but you could start hanging really crappy looking stuff on that fence and let the insensitive neighbor know that you would sell if he were to give you more than the land is worth, but in the meantime you just can't afford to do anything else but hang your old lingerie, panty hose, grandkids soiled diapers, holey socks, etc. on as much space as you can.

Expect a call from his lawyer saying you can't do such a thing to a commonly held fence. Ask the lawyer to send you his research.

Meanwhile, see if there is a copy of my book in your local library.