homestead - Re: [Homestead] Garden water infrastructure

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Garden water infrastructure
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 07:55:17 -0500

On Sep 12, 2007, at 12:12 AM, <eureka AT hctc.net> <eureka AT hctc.net> wrote:

We laid pvc and drip irrigation in one half of our raised
bed garden this spring. Overall it was successful but for
a few issues. One is the inline pressure reducer from the
main line keeps cracking. The first time my husband
thought maybe he didn't let the glue set long enough, but
it's happened again. What's going on with this? My
thought is to just let it leak and plant mint.

Is the line on a timer? How is the water turned on? Some sensitive fittings, like pressure regulators, last longer if they are actuated gently rather than bam. I would write to the manufacturer and ask for their answer.

Another problem was where we used drip stake emitters the
roots of the plants (mostly curcubits and squash) were so
greedy they grew down into the emitter, eventually
clogging and cutting off the supply, and in some cases
killing themselves before we caught on. I'd have to go
around weekly and cut those roots away. Those plants that
didn't commit suicide later drowned in our torrential
summer rains. Next year I will only use soaker tubing for
those types.

I like soaker hoses. My only experience with home irrigation systems is at the Phoenix house. Such a system works okay to keep shrubs alive during the summer sizzle and it keeps a dog patch of lawn green but I don't care for it for vegetable gardening. Truth be told, a hand-held hose is the best way to water a garden as the gardener can observe each plant or area of plants and apply water accordingly. This works fine if the gardener has found a way to create thirty-hour days.

I've never heard of home fire hydrants. What kind of water
pressure is needed?

Turns out there is no easy answer on home fire fighting systems. I have started a new thread on that subject.