homestead - Re: [Homestead] cisterns

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] cisterns
  • Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 10:47:41 -0500

If you ever get the chance to visit the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center in Austin, TX (where I used to work, now part of the University of Texas system) you can see the nation's largest rainwater collection system.

They collect about 60,000 gallons to use for watering the grounds (native plants don't need much water). Some of the features I really loved were the reversed "butterfly" roof over the auditorium that channeled the rain to the depressed center roofline and then across an aquaduct, part of that water filling a limestone entrance cistern, and a little of it flowing down a rock wall playfully into a pond; and the beautiful and massive spiral observation tower (that houses all the construction debris from initially building the campus--a great idea--instead of filling a landfill) that is also a cistern.

You can arrange tours of it, and it provides lots of great ideas for those of us with small and modest projects.

--Sage
Way out in Texas

On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 16:31:08 -0500