homestead - Re: [Homestead] Are you a locavore?

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Are you a locavore?
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 21:18:08 -0400

On 4/25/07, clhw <clhw AT infoave.net> wrote:

Gene said:
>One of my reads this morning mused about the fact that oranges were
>once a treat found in upper Midwest Christmas stockings. Changing our
>mindset is perhaps the biggest challenge to eating locally-grown foods.

When I grew up in the midwest we always had oranges in the toe of Christmas
stockings. When I married and had kids, I just did what I grew up with and
didn't think it was anything unusual. I figured everyone put oranges in
their stockings. (We stop after doing stockings to take a break and eat the
oranges with our special breakfast). Since you've mentioned it being a
regional tradition, I have a faint recollection that hubby never had oranges
in his stockings and he grew up primarily in the northeast. He thought it
was a pretty interesting thing to do that first married year, now it's part
of his life--18 years later. We forgot to put oranges in the stockings
Christmas 05, we were up too late that year, and a little bird--the oldest
son--let us know that Santa needed to take more gingko. This year the
oranges were back in the toes.

Where'd you see the article, I think I'd like to read it.

My husband has a gig tonight for the School of Engineering awards dinner at
Tech. I know he's safe, but I couldn't help but be nervous. Youngest son
asked Scott if he had to go. We explained that everything would be okay and
that the show must go on. This gig was booked back in January. He called
when he arrived and he's calling again on his way home. Usually he just
calls on his way home.

Have a great day tomorrow.

Lisa