homestead - Re: [Homestead] Are you a locavore?

  • From: clhw AT infoave.net (clhw)
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Are you a locavore?
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 20:54:13 -0400

Finding out from one list that all vitamin C sold in the USofA is produced
in China, and the FDA is exploring ways to do more safeguarding of our
foods made me think of the yearly citrus fruit treat.

When my family lived in Texas, it became a custom of my parents' circle of
friends to eat a breakfast for Christmas morning. A fruit cake made in
Texas, Red RIver Valley ruby grapefruit, pecan pralines from Texas, a bread
one of the women baked. I don't remember the other components but my mother
continued the tradition for many years even after we moved to Georgia. This
year, one of the families gave us some of the Texas pecans and some of the
pralines. Not exactly local to South Carolina but still a treat with
nostalgic overtones.

Candy was also almost a once a year indulgence or maybe once a month when
the family made a trip to town.