homestead - Re: [Homestead] Are you affected by Global warming?

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Are you affected by Global warming?
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 14:23:35 -0800

Ya know, that argument is just simply silly. What industry? The few that didn't leave and have already done off-shore for tax breaks in . . . CHINA?

Or do you mean that the poor babies will have to give their CEOs less than $40 million in bonuses so that they bring their factories up to date?

There are plants that have already done it. An excellent example is the old LP pulp mill. Emissions are almost zero and they are chlorine free. They aren't out of business. In fact, they sold the plant for a whole heck of a lot more money than they would have gotten for it if they had not been years ahead of the emission standards and chlorine free.

Take a look at the Toyota plants. They moved TO the U.S. and their standards are far and away ahead of the Kyoto Accord standards. I don't see them going out of business.

Those are the same old same old sorry arguments that have no basis in fact, only in fearmongering!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Jones" <billj AT harborside.com>

Certainly not enough to let brilliant experimentalists play with our
lives. What if we took drastic steps that threatened our security and
livelihoods just to placate these theorizers, and it turned out that the
warming took place anyway?

Meanwhile our friends in China will be the benefactors of shutting down
our industry. I'm especially skeptical in light of the way that the
previous bunch of liawyers left serious doubt about whom they were
really working for, when it turned out that China was to have an
exemption under the Kyoto Accord.

Bill
S. Oregon coast