homestead - Re: [Homestead] Are you affected by Global warming?

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Are you affected by Global warming?
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 14:06:48 -0700

Rob wrote:

At 4/21/2007 07:30 PM,VAN DELL JORDAN wrote:

The only argument I've heard by scientists against
global warming boils down to this, I paraphrase; "The
climate has always fluctuated so this is just another
fluctuation"
There is of course a chance that this could be a
fluctuation, but that argument seems to ignore the
fact the same data and information that tells us about
climatic fluctuations in the past, tells us that this
current trend does not fit that pattern.

What data? If we had some good records since the last ice age we might have a handle on what's happening. I just read something on the grape growing in Britain worrying the French, that was before the Little Ice Age ( Little Ice Age lasted from roughly the fourteenth through the nineteenth centuries).

Lynda talked of 150 years of records and the ice ended 8k-10k years or so back. That's not a lot of data.
We just don't know enough yet.
I'm really tired of saying "we just don't know enough yet"....

Rob

Certainly not enough to let brilliant experimentalists play with our lives. What if we took drastic steps that threatened our security and livelihoods just to placate these theorizers, and it turned out that the warming took place anyway?

Meanwhile our friends in China will be the benefactors of shutting down our industry. I'm especially skeptical in light of the way that the previous bunch of liawyers left serious doubt about whom they were really working for, when it turned out that China was to have an exemption under the Kyoto Accord.

Bill
S. Oregon coast