homestead - Re: [Homestead] Are you affected by Global warming?

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Are you affected by Global warming?
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 07:56:53 -0700 (PDT)

A friend of mine grew up near the quad cities in Iowa.
He tells me they had snow on the ground for weeks at
a time. I don't know if climatologists agree with
this but I've heard many references to the "snow
belt". That is a line above which snow does stay on
the ground much of the winter. My guess is that line
is someplace in between his home and mine.
One reason snow does not stick around here is that the
weather fluctuates. I don't remember many weeks when
the highs don't get above freezing long enough to melt
the snow.
When I was a kid I would read about people riding in
sleighs during the winter. I never understood this
because we seldom had enough snow on the ground to
allow a sleigh to be a mode of transportation.
Van Dell

: