homestead - Re: [Homestead] What's planting in your zone 6-7?

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: roxann <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] What's planting in your zone 6-7?
  • Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 14:21:11 -0400

I don't think it is toxic to anything, so it'd probably be fine to hay
it. Bees and insects love the stuff, and of course, the chickens will
peck at the seeds, the plant, the flowers, and the insects that surround
it. I am just planting it in a 10x50 area, basically just for the
chickens to graze it down.

roxann wrote:
Bev, I'm planting some buckwheat when it warms up a little more. how
do you use it for your chickens? i was just planning to cut it when
it flowered and use it to build my compost pile. also thought about
seeing whether it could be dried and added to hay for the horses?

Roxann